June 16, 2014, 12:00 AM - June 19, 2014, 12:00 AM
Mission Possible is an incredible service week where teens from all over the Diocese of Dallas work together to serve their communities. We go out and work in nursing homes, food banks, soup kitchens and much, much more. It’s a great opportunity for middle school students and high school students to learn more about Catholic Social Justice while meeting new people. It’s also a great opportunity for middle school students to earn service hours for Confirmation and high school students can earn service hours for the fall semester. Sign up will be April 1st
through May 1st
and is for everyone currently in grades 6-12.
We depend on adult volunteers that have cleared our Safe Environment program for this event to be possible. Parents will be assigned a “crew” based on how many seat belts their vehicle has and will go out each day with another “crew” to work at a particular site. The number of teens that are able to participate completely depends on how many adult volunteers we have. We do have a "mini camp" for anyone with younger siblings that will need someone to care for them during the day. Our mini camp is in the Youth Room and there are lots of fun crafts, movies, etc. for the siblings to enjoy while Mom and/or Dad go out with a crew.
St. Pius X is part of the “East” region and is hosted here at SPX Communion Hall. Cost for youth participants is $50. There is no cost for adults or “mini campers”.
We are so excited to have our largest group (at least in the last 10 years) participating in Mission Possible this summer. It is going to be a great week. Thank you to the adults that have volunteered their time and energy to this fabulous experience. We do, however, have a wait list. So, if you could possibly think about taking some time off to this summer we would love to have you volunteer with us. You could even possibly split the week with your spouse so that you don’t get too far behind at work.
Click here to print your Adult Registration Form.
The following is a few reminders and details of what to expect for the week. We will try to remind you closer to time but please be sure to keep this email for future reference I will also be putting this information online so that you can reference it there.
- We will kick off Mission Possible with a “Concert in the Courtyard with Cooper Ray” on June 14th (note the date change). Cooper is a Catholic singer song writer that is based here in the Dallas area. We will gather in Communion Hall at 3:30 p.m. We will spend an hour gathering in crews and doing some team building activities, we will go to 5:00 p.m. Mass then we will come back to the courtyard for a cookout and a concert with Cooper Ray. It will be lots of fun and the entire family is invited to join us.
- We will open the doors of Communion Hall each day at 7:45 a.m. PLEASE DO NOT DROP OFF YOUR SON AND/OR DAUGHTER EARLIER THAN 7:45!!! Youth will need to bring the following with them each day:
- A sack lunch
- A 1 gallon water jug (not just a regular size water bottle)
- Shorts must be “basketball” length (no short, shorts) and all shirts must have sleeves
- Sun screen and bug spray
- A good attitude J
- Monday – Wednesday youth should be picked up at Communion Hall at 4:00 p.m. Please do not be late we will all be tired and ready to go home.
- On Thursday we will be going to Hawaiian Falls at 3:30 p.m. If your son and/or daughter is not joining us at Hawaiian Falls they must be picked up by 3:30 or you will need to pick them up at the water park.
- Teens going to Hawaiian Falls will need to wear a MODEST swim suit! Girls may need to plan on wearing a colored t-shirt over their suit if it is not a one piece (dark colored camisoles work well) Families can join us for Hawaiian Falls. Tickets are $13 per person. Participants and volunteering adults are covered by MP registration fees.
- We will be collecting back packs and school supplies for Blue Caboose for Cystic Fibrosis. Items can be brought Monday thru Thursday morning and will be delivered on Thursday afternoon.